Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gajewski milasolsi Sudre?

So, I’ve fallen off the blogging horse...Apologies.

This post will be somewhat weenie, but I have to start somewhere.

Firstly, SUDRE’S WORK HAS BEEN FOUND! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
A million thanks go out to Emily and Andrew who made the book available to me, and yes, I did do a happy dance...still dancing in fact :)

Secondly, I wanted to briefly get into the different versions of Solresol that exist. I started off learning Solresol using the various versions of Gajewski’s grammar available online. In the last post, I expressed my frustration about discovering that Cherpillod and Gajewski gave certain Solresol words different meanings. Now having read through a good portion of Sudre’s Langue universelle musicale, I can add that many definitions given by both Cherpillod and Gajewski do not match up with those given by Sudre. I feel like I started out learning one dialect of Solresol, the Gajewskian version, and am now confronted with another in the Langue universelle musicale. Seeing as Sudre invented the language, I intend to go with his definitions from here on out. I can only guess why Gajewski (or Cherpillod) chose - if they in fact did choose to - to change certain words’ meanings and why they chose the meanings they assigned to the aforementioned words. The monosyllabic words are the same across the board. For the disyllabic words, there exist several differences, so I have decided to compare definitions given by Sudre and Gajewski below. (Maybe I’ll do Cherpillod in another post). Mila:

*fare = celui-là Sudre = that one, that (adj.) Gajewski = with
*fasol = voici Sudre = here is/this is Gajewski = why
*soldo = rien Sudre = nothing, zero Gajewski = but
*solre = pourquoi Sudre = why Gajewski = in
*lado = hier Sudre = yesterday Gajewski = nothing, no one
*lare = aujourd’hui Sudre = today Gajewski = by (means of)/"par" in French
*lami = demain Sudre = tomorrow Gajewski = here, there
*sido = comment Sudre = how Gajewski = same
*sila = madame Sudre = ms., madame Gajewski = young man, bachelor


I figure this list can be a useful heads-up to those who are currently using the Gajewski grammar to learn the musical language.

Last bit of news. I’ve started working on an English-Solresol-French dictionary to make the language more accessible to English-speakers. I am at the very beginning of this project, but making progress. Currently, I am transferring the words into an Excel file, but if anyone has any suggestions for a different format, please comment.

That’s all for now. Solsi ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment